Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's your sign?

Sign language is a blessing.  It was my guide past the terrible two's.  It was our early entertainment and fun activity.  It continues to be useful even as Gabbi nears four years old.

Even before Gabbi was born I decided that sign language was going to be a tool we integrated from very early on.  I grew up with a grandmother and grandfather who were deaf and still remembered some sign.  I had also read that teaching American Sign Language (ASL) to babies and toddlers help them communicate their needs before they can talk.  This was proven time and time again with my little one.

Before Gabbi could talk we started to sign.  Her dad and I would sign as much as we could at all times. We also received a great gift of Baby Signing Time by Rachel Coleman.  My stepmom got us the first volume and we nearly wore out the dvds.  I admit I would pop one in to give me a chance to shower and get ready.  It gave me 25 minutes to get ready and educated Gabbi.  Most of the time we did watch the show a few times in a row and we would practice the signs.  We continue to watch Signing Time on occasion and we practice everyday.

Gabbi picked up ASL very quickly and used it a great deal before she could talk and after.  She used it to tell us when she wanted more food, bottle, developed manners like saying please and thank you, identify animals, and all sorts of things.  She also was able to learn the sign for potty to let us know when she had to go.  We still use this sign, it allows us to ask her if she needs to go without letting everyone else know what we are talking about.

I noticed today that ASL continues to help me care for Gabbi.  At her gym she plays/dances in the room and I get to watch on the other side of the glass.  (Sounds odd but it works)  If she starts to get distracted and looks at me I can sign to her to listen, ask if she has to go potty, and tell her good job with out shouting or disrupting the other parents.

I love that ASL continues to used in our household.  We will continue to learn our signs, watch our videos, and develop our signing skills.  She has forgotten some of the signs but picks them up quickly.

My favorite sign that Gabbi did is actually one that she made up herself.  When she was about 18 months old she was really into Disney's Cinderella movie and she made a sign for Cinderella.  It is basically the ASL sign for applause but it's her sign for the movie.  Too darn cute.  Much like Gabbi.

So my advice is teach your child sign language, at any age.  There are a lot of resources out there to help. Visit your library and get some board books and videos.  Visit the Signing Time website and think about getting some of their items.  It is an investment into your little kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment